Cleaning Shower Tile and Preventing Mold
Due to the amount of moisture found in bathrooms, the potential for mold to grow in this space is high. One area in particular that often sees the growth of mold is the shower.
Within the shower, mold will frequently begin to form in the grout between shower tiles. Not only is the growth of mold unsightly, but it can also be hazardous to the health of those who use the bathroom.
The good news is that while mold growth is not ideal, cleaning it off shower tiles and preventing its future growth is simple. The following quick guide will outline how to clean moldy tile, as well as tips for preventing its future growth.
Cleaning Moldy Tile
If mold has already formed in the shower, the following steps will help eliminate its presence:
- Combine two-parts water with one-part bleach. Ideally, use a spray bottle to create the mixture.
- With the spray bottle, apply the bleach and water directly to the mold. Often, mold grows in the grout between tiles, which makes it important to target this area specifically.
- Leave the bleach/water solution for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In many cases, the mold will have dissipated on its own. For areas where mold remains, scrub away the mold with a brush.
- Finally, rinse the area with water.
An alternative option to using bleach is to use baking soda to remove the mold. For this method, add water to a bowl of baking soda to form a paste. From here, apply the baking soda paste and follow steps 3-5.
Tips for Preventing Future Mold
The best way to keep shower tile clean is to prevent the growth of mold from ever occurring. The key to stopping mold and mildew in their tracks is to control the amount of moisture in the bathroom.
The following are all effective methods for preventing the growth of mold:
- Ensure the bathroom is properly ventilated.
- Apply a grout sealer every year.
- Remove water from the shower after use, either by using a squeegee or drying the shower with a towel.
- Keep towels and shower curtains dry, and clean them frequently.
- Repair or replace leaking faucets and shower heads.
Shop Kingston Brass for Updated Bathroom Fixtures
Cleaning shower tiles to prevent the growth of mold is an excellent way to freshen the appearance of a bathroom. In addition, replacing leaking shower heads and hand showers is critical to preventing future mold.
For homeowners looking to replace shower heads, Kingston Brass is the place to begin. Its extensive catalog offers a variety of styles and finish options, ensuring that any design preference is met. Shop Kingston Brass today for updated bathroom fixtures.