What to Do About a Cracked Bathroom Sink
Featured Image: EV4030_NS8410DKL
Over time, as bathroom sinks age, they often show signs of wear and tear. One common issue with an older bathroom sink is that the sink basin begins to crack.
Most often, cracks form in porcelain sinks due to the material becoming brittle. In fact, it doesn’t take a large amount of force for a crack to form. Normal wear and tear can eventually lead to a small crack, which will continue to grow when left untreated. In some cases, the crack is merely cosmetic and can be repaired. In other cases, the crack might cause the basin to leak, necessitating a sink replacement.
For homeowners looking to repair their bathroom sink, the following guide will outline two options for tackling a cracked pedestal or console sink.
Repairing a Cracked Sink
The first option when dealing with a cracked bathroom sink is to repair the sink. To repair a cracked bathroom sink, follow these steps:
- Purchase a repair kit specific to the sink’s materials.
- Clean the sink surface. If the repair kit calls for it, sand down the area before applying the repair materials.
- Most repair kits include multiple materials to mix together to create a paste. Follow the kit’s instructions when mixing together materials.
- Apply the mixture to the sink’s crack.
- Smooth the mixture using an application stick or brush.
- Wipe away any excess mixture.
- Allow the mixture to set, usually for 24 hours.
- Clean the area and sand down as needed.
Replacing a Cracked Sink
In some cases, a cracked sink is beyond repair. In this case, replacing the sink with a new fixture is the ideal choice.
Consider replacing a cracked sink if the crack is no longer simply cosmetic, but is actually causing the sink to leak.
When replacing a sink, keep the following tips in mind:
- Measure the space available for a new sink to be sure the sink chosen will fit the room
- Be sure to turn off the water when removing the old sink
- Consider upgrading bathroom faucets and other fixtures at the same time
Replacing a sink is not only an effective way of getting rid of an unsightly crack, but also a quick way to upgrade the look and feel of the bathroom. A new bathroom sink is an affordable option for renovating the room.
Shop Kingston Brass
For homeowners looking to replace a cracked bathroom sink, Kingston Brass is the place to begin. Browsing the extensive online catalog will allow homeowners to find the perfect sink to match any design or budget. From sleek console sinks to elegant pedestal sinks, Kingston Brass offers a premium collection of bathroom sinks. Shop our bathroom products today.