ADA Compliant, bathroom faucets, Centerset Bathroom Faucet, Faucet Parts,Plumbing, Mini-widespread bathroom faucet, wall-mount bathroom faucet, widespread bathroom faucet
ADA-Compliant Bathroom Faucets for the Home
For those who have physical limitations, and for their caregivers, making a few modifications in the home can make life a lot less stressful and more accommodating for all members of the household. In 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became law. In keeping with the spirit of accessibility for all, home versions of bathroom faucets and accessories required for public buildings are available that meet all the same requirements and accommodations for those who have physical limitations.
When making modifications or additions for the disabled, something as simple as accessibility to water sources in the kitchen and bath is a great place to start. ADA-compliant water faucets for the home are positioned for easier reach and the lever handles require less force to turn on and off than standard faucets.
Features Required by ADA
The Americans with Disabilities Act has certain requirements for public restrooms. Those features should be replicated in home modifications and accessories to be truly ADA compliant.
- Easy on and off – ADA-compliancy requires less than five pounds of force without twisting or straining the wrist.
- One hand – The ADA requires that the water flow be activated using only one hand.
- Positioning – In order to meet ADA regulations, the faucet and handles must be no higher than 48 inches from the floor and free from obstructions. Handles mounted on the base of the faucet can also help to meet the requirements.
- Open gap – The faucet must be mounted on a surface that has an open gap underneath to accommodate wheelchairs, mobility devices, or a standard chair with proper knee clearance. Plan for 27 inches in height, 30 inches wide, and 11 to 25 inches deep.
- Motion sensor – If the faucet has a motion sensor, the water must flow for at least 10 seconds before shutting off. Additional hands-free options include electronic metering faucets.
Available Bathroom Faucets for Your Home
Bathroom faucets from Kingston Brass, like the Fauceture Duchess 4-inch centerset faucet, feature dual lever handles that meet ADA guidelines and come in a variety of finishes including polished, antiqued or brushed brass, polished chrome, oil rubbed bronze, brushed nickel, or matte black to complement any bathroom decor.
Also in this line, you’ll find the Fauceture Kaiser widespread bathroom faucet that features two lever handles that meet ADA guidelines, a spout height of 10.6 inches, and deck mount installation. The simple, sleek design will fit in well in more contemporary decor. The Kaiser faucet comes in a similar variety of finishes and includes drip-free ceramic disc cartridges and matching pop-up drain.
Kingston Brass offers a variety of ADA-compliant bathroom faucets in beautiful designs, various finishes, and multiple configurations to fit your needs and the decor of your bathroom.