5 Home Design Trends for 2019
As we roll in the New Year, we motivate and prep ourselves for change. Change within ourselves, as well as our homes. Unlike the subtly of last year, this years home decor trend is to go bigger and bolder! 2019 is definitely not the time to be afraid of patterns and colors. We know that the word “trend” is scary. Who can afford remodeling their home every year? So as you discover what’s “in” and what’s “out” in the home design world, we will teach you how to tweak it as to not break your bank.
1. Rose Gold (OUT) / Gold (IN)
It’s been fun rose gold but copper tones are so last year. We’re heading back to basics with brass, or commonly known as gold. Adding polished brass or vintage brass to your bathrooms or kitchen are perfect for creating a focal point or accent. For bathrooms, you can a new brass toned faucet or accessories. For kitchens, you can add a pot filler or a faucet as well. However, don’t go overboard with it. Remember to always find balance in your design. If you’re absolutely fond of your copper tones or don’t know how to incorporate gold or warm brass tones into your color scheme, try mixing metal accents. Metal accents are a great way to show off some luxurious vibrancy in your home by simply accenting drawer handles or even decorative bowls. You can mix gold, silver, and copper tones together to add an elegant style to the room. Using different metal accents are a great way to add depth.
2. All White Kitchens (OUT)
Monochromatic kitchens have had a good year. Your all white kitchen impressed your friends and family that it can stay white, even after all the battles from the holidays. However, white kitchens can be a tad boring. At first glance, it looks simple and bright. But as you stare at it everyday, it will start to look stale. If you have an all white kitchen, there’s no need to panic. All you need to do is add a little bit of color. Whether it be from your colorful cookware or some flowers, you don’t need to splash paint on your walls for remnants of color. Remember, it’s okay to have your kitchen 90% white, as long as the remaining 10% has color.
3. Homemade Pieces (IN)
Nothing turns your house into a home more than creating something personally for it. We’ve seen amazing DIY’s from people refurbishing antique furniture to making their own counter tops out of concrete. With a little bit of creativity, constructing homemade pieces is not only a great conversation starter, but you could also save a lot of money. However, be warned that the results can vary from patience and expertise.
Photo by Tara McGuire
4. Matte Black (IN)
Nothing creates more drama than a bold, matte black. Filled with high contrast designs, even the simplest matte black pieces can make a big statement. You can add subtle style as you revamp the look of any room with matte black accents, or diving head first in designing a black bathroom or kitchen.
5. Bold Backsplashes (IN)
Kitchen walls are usually overlooked when in the midst of a rebuild. They need to have some sort of protective layer when threatened to be splashed upon with water or grease. This protective layer is called a backsplash. It’s a stylish way to prevent stains and cuts down on cleaning. The great thing about backsplashes is how creative you can be. You can gravitate towards making a little more impact in your kitchen with bolder color choices or patterned tiles.